Skateboarding is mere steps away from becoming an Olympic sport, with its inclusion in the 2020 Summer Games in Tokyo appearing increasingly likely. But according to a new article from Inside the Games, a beef over who would control skating in the Games and concerns over widespread recreational drug use among skaters could keep it out.
The International Olympic Committee (IOC) refused to disclose details of the first meeting of its Programme Commission in Lausanne yesterday, but both problems were reportedly discussed.
While it was the International Roller Sports Federation (FIRS) that submitted skateboarding's Olympic bid, which proposed street and park contests, the World Skateboarding Federation (WSF) and the International Skateboarding Federation (ISF) are also vying to govern skating in the Games. Neither skateboarding organization, however, is recognized by the IOC, and neither is part of SportAccord, an umbrella for Olympic and non-Olympic international sports federations. As Inside the Games notes, many believe that either being part of the Games would undermine the integrity of the IOC by circumventing its recognition process.
The WSF, ISF, and FIRS are said to have met with the IOC in Lausanne last Tuesday, and "ultimatums were given that if they did not work together, skateboarding's proposal would be rejected."
The IOC is also concerned about recreational drug use in skateboarding, which likely refers to the consumption of marijuana and other drugs. IOC president Thomas Bach—who's said to be behind skateboarding because it appeals to a young audience—criticized the European X Games, held in Oslo last month, for not testing competitors for drugs.
The IOC will deliver its decision on skateboarding's inclusion in the Olympics in Rio de Janeiro this August.
source: the ride channel
- How Skateboarding Celebrated 4/20 | RIDE Channel
- THE ANDREW REYNOLDS INTERVIEW | Jenkem Magazine
- Ross Rebagliati - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
- THE PUSH FOR SKATEBOARDING & THE OLYMPICS CONTINUES
- Olympic threshold for marijuana testing is higher than ever in 2014 ...
- After nearly losing his Olympic gold medal to a positive marijuana ...
- This Olympic Gold Medallist Thinks So…
- Should Skateboarding Be in the Olympics? | VICE | United States
- 24 Types of Pot Smokers
- Travis Jensen's Photos Showcase San Francisco's Last Ungentrified ...