Colorado has nearly 1,600 acres of planted hemp throughout the state, but one-fifth of that is grown by Colorado Cultivars in Eaton, Colorado outside Ft. Collins. One big field of beautiful green trees sways back and forth in the Colorado sunshine. Driving into Eaton from the west looks like any other country road in eastern Colorado, but rows of corn give way to lush rolling hills of hemp, which requires a fraction of the water corn uses.
With 300 acres under cultivation, Colorado Cultivators specializes in growing a non-THC cannabis cash crop high in CBD strictly for commercial hemp production. Applications for their hemp include oils for cooking, clothing, rope, topicals and a wide range of other uses.
Co-owners John Gallegos and Damian Farris have a vision focused on the growing list of practical uses for hemp. "I'm a huge proponent of medical marijuana — and recreational marijuana for that matter. But what it can do compared to what hemp can do? It's not even close," explains Farris.
Although hemp doesn't get you high, hemp was made illegal in 1937. Gallegos and Farris partnered with the fourth generation family that owns the land in an effort to farm the land together. The farm-grown hemp contains no THC — but the plant can be used for its CBD properties, which provide pain-killing, anti-inflammatory and digestive help without producing a high. You do not need a government-issued MITS license in order to sell CBD items, one of the avenues Colorado Cultivars has taken with its crop. Instead, all the partners need is an agricultural license from the state.
At 6'1" Colorado Cultivator's Rick Trojan is dwarfed by a male and female plantvia Linsey Bartlett | Westword
- Hempfarm.org - Hemp Facts ›
- Why Legalized Hemp Will Not Be a Miracle Crop - Modern Farmer ›
- | Hemp Revival For Human Survival ›
- Hemp - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ›
- Colorado hemp grower to plant historic first U.S. crop in decades ... ›
- Nigeria: NDLEA Destroys World's Largest Hemp Farm in Ondo ... ›
- First major hemp crop in 60 years is planted in southeast Colorado ... ›
- industrial hemp | Bringing it Home Movie ›
- Grow Hemp Colorado - Hemp Seed, Hemp Farming & more ›