Cannabis, meet ball! These medicated lamb meatballs are perfect for a spring appetizer that's juicy and packed with flavor. The cinnamon and allspice make the lamb incredibly aromatic and stealthily masks the canna-butter.
Photo by Sous Weed
Medicated Lamb Meatballs
Serves 4-6, yields about 30 meatballs
• 1 lb ground lamb (I got mine from Belcampo)
• 1/4 cup ramps or scallions - chopped
• 2 Tbsp fresh garlic, finely minced
• 1 tsp cumin
• 1 tsp allspice
• 1 tsp ground cinnamon
• 1 Tbsp salt (I used Omnivore Salt)
• 3 Tbsp bread crumbs
• 1 egg
• 3 Tbsp canna-butter, room-temp
• Greek or goat yogurt, dollop • Mint leaves, to garnish
1. Place the ground lamb in a mixing bowl and add your ramps or scallions. Sprinkle in spices, garlic, salt, bread crumbs, and canna-butter while mixing.
2. Beat the egg in a small bowl and add it into the lamb mixture. Work through thoroughly with your hands. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for half an hour.
3. Line a baking sheet with plastic wrap and scoop out a scant tablespoon of the lamb mixture to form a meatball. Place on the baking sheet.
4. When you're ready to cook, heat 1/2-in of canola oil in a frying pan over medium-high heat. Fry the meatballs in batches without overcrowding. Cook for a minute on each side, or until golden brown on each side.
5. Serve hot with a dollop of Greek or goat yogurt and garnish with mint leaves.